Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic State Park
8 a.m. until sundown, 365 days a year
No fee required
Welcome to Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic State Park
This site was once part of a thriving sugar plantation owned by David Levy Yulee.
Yulee was a member of the Territorial Legislative Council, and he served in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate after Florida statehood.
The park contains remnants of the once-thriving 5,100-acre sugar plantation: a 40-foot limestone masonry chimney, iron gears and a cane press. The steam-driven mill operated from 1851 to 1864 and served as a supplier of sugar products for Southern troops during the Civil War.
The park is located in the small town of Homosassa, about 3 miles west of the city of Homosassa Springs. Take U.S. Highway 19 (northbound or southbound) to the town of Homosassa Springs, then turn west onto County Road 490 West (Yulee Drive). Proceed for 2.5 miles to the park. There are brown and white highway signs that will lead you to the park. The ruins of the mill are situated within five feet of the road and can be easily seen. The site offers a picnic pavilion, restrooms, tables for picnicking, and grills.