The many different flags flying over San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park welcome visitors to the park and demonstrate the colorful history of this site, from the Spanish explorers to the present day.
The history of this National Landmark dates back to 1528 when Panfilo de Narvaez arrived in the area with 300 men; however, the first fort was not built until 1679. Andrew Jackson occupied the fort for a brief time in the early 1800s. The US Navy started bbuilding a Marine Hospital in the early 1850's to treat sailors with yellow fever. During the American Civil War, Confederates took control of the Fort and renamed it Fort Ward.