More than 150 years ago, St. Joseph was selected over Tallahassee (the territorial capital) as the site of Florida's first Constitution Convention because of antagonism between East Florida and Middle Florida. The first of Florida's six constitutions was drafted by a convention that met on December 3, 1838.
By working diligently for 34 days, the elected delegates hammered out a framework for Florida's future and finished their work on January 11, 1839. The Territorial Legislative Council had called the convention without congressional authorization after a referendum election in 1837 showed a territory-wide majority in favor of statehood.
Constitution Convention Museum State Park was donated to the state of Florida by the city of Port St. Joe in 1950. The museum was dedicated in 1956 with Governor LeRoy Collins attending the ceremony. The museum was one of the first two museum buildings constructed by the Florida Park Service; the John Gorrie Museum was the other one.
In January 1923, only 84 years after Florida's first constitution was drafted, citizens dedicated this monument in honor of the delegates who pioneered Florida's bid for statehood.
The monument and mall today provide the most striking feature of the park, with a vista that stretches to the edge of St. Joseph Bay.