Some content on this website is saved in an alternative format. To view these files, download the following free software or you can skip to the main content if you already have the appropriate readers.

  • Use Adobe Acrobat to read Portable Document Format (PDF) files: Download Adobe® Reader®
  • Microsoft Word file viewer and converter programs to enable those who do not have MS- Word or have another version of MS-Word to open and view MS-Word files: Download Word file Viewer
  • Microsoft offers Microsoft Excel file viewer and converter programs to enable those who do not have MS-Excel or have another version of MS-Excel to view MS-Excel files:Download Excel file viewer

Welcome to Eden Gardens State Park

The focal point of this park is the beautifully renovated, two-story house with elegant white columns and wrap around porch. Surrounded by moss-draped live oaks and ornamental gardens, the Wesley House inspires visions of hoop skirts and landed gentry.

What was once the home of the William Henry Wesley family is now a place of tranquility. Yet 100 years ago the site was alive with mechanical and human energy. This was the hub of the Wesley Lumber Company, operating from 1890 until after World War I. Company holdings included a sawmill, planner mill and dry kiln with a dock to facilitate loading barges in Tucker Bayou for shipping lumber.

Wesley built his home near the mill in 1897 and his family lived there until 1953 when his wife, Katie Strickland Wesley died and it was sold with 10.5 acres. Ten years later Lois Maxon fell in love with the place and purchased it, converting the house into a showplace for her family antiques and heirlooms. Ms. Maxon developed the grounds as ornamental gardens and in 1968 she donated Eden Gardens to the State of Florida.

The staff and volunteers of Eden Gardens take great pride in protecting and preserving this property for future generations by interpreting the history, its resources, and maintaining the beautiful azaleas and camellias which are scattered throughout the grounds.