Addison Blockhouse State Park is located in a wooded area accessed by boat seen here in the treeline of the Tomoka Basin. This is a unique and quiet place to visit with two sites on it, one is the Addison Blockhouse which was a makeshift fort during the Second Seminole War, the other is the McRae Sugar Mill. For anyone wishing to visit including state park passport holders please contact...
Some content on this website is saved in an alternative format. To view these files, download the following free software or you can skip to the main content if you already have the appropriate readers.
- Use Adobe Acrobat to read Portable Document Format (PDF) files: Download Adobe® Reader®
- Microsoft Word file viewer and converter programs to enable those who do not have MS- Word or have another version of MS-Word to open and view MS-Word files: Download Word file Viewer
- Microsoft offers Microsoft Excel file viewer and converter programs to enable those who do not have MS-Excel or have another version of MS-Excel to view MS-Excel files:Download Excel file viewer
The State Library and Archives of Florida holds a map of the John Addison plantation from 1816. Addison first acquired the land in 1807 and named the plantation “Carrickfergus” after his birthplace in Ireland. The 1816 map shows that the plantation covered 1,414 acres from the west bank of the Tomoka River to the Kings Road. Addison grew cotton and other field crops in the area shown as “cleared land” on the 1816 map. The labor for clearing, planting, picking, and ginning cotton was provided by 63 enslaved workers. John Addison died in 1825 and was buried on his plantation by his brother, Thomas Addison. The plantation was sold two years later to Duncan and Kenneth McCrae. The McCraes build a large steam-powered sugar mill in 1832 that operated for four years.
In 1836, Seminole warriors King Philip and Wildcat led a raid on “Carrickfergus” destroying the sugar mill and other plantation buildings. After the Seminole raids the plantation was abandoned and the Addison gravesite disappeared until 1911 when the Daytona Gazette-News reported that an unknown grave had been found in the woods along the Tomoka River. The identity of the grave was later revealed when the broken headstone was found nearby in the woods with the inscription “Sacred to the Memory of John Addison”. The headstone was repaired and placed at the Recreation Hall at Tomoka State Park where it is now protected from vandalism and natural decay. Today all that stands is what is believed to be the outdoor kitchen of the Addison plantation and partial walls and foundations of the McCrae sugar mill.
There is little access to Addison Blockhouse Historic State Park aside from the Tomoka River. At times there are lead interpretative hikes or historical society outings to visit the ruins. Please contact Tomoka State Park at (386) 676-4075 with any questions about Addison Blockhouse Historic State Park.