In 1927, the Ochlochonee River was inpounded at Jackson Bluff to produce hydroelectrical power. The resulting reservoir created a 14.5 mile long, 12,000 acre lake in which quickly became a favorite recreation lake for area residents and visitors. The lake gets its name from the nearby cities of Tallahassee and Quincy. Florida Power Corporation donated the land for Lake Talquin State Park in 1970. The property not only included the high bluffs on the south side of the lake that visitors enjoy today, but also the property in which the dam is located and most of the property managed by the Florida Forest Service as Lake Talquin State Forest. The Florida Park Service operated the dam for a short time period. Today the City of Tallahassee leases and operates the dam in order to provide hydorelectrical power to area residents and control the water level of Lake Talquin for quality recreational opportunities.
Today, the Florida Park Service continues to manage 526 acres in order to provide public recreation and preserve the natural and cultural resources, including rare North Florida deep ravine systems with seepage streams, of Lake Talquin State Park.