More than eight centuries ago, Native Americans inhabited the area around Lake Jackson, just north of Tallahassee. The park site was part of what is now known as the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex.
Today the park preserves the remains of six of the seven known earthen temple mounds. The largest mound is 278 feet by 312 feet at the base and approximately 36 feet in height. The village at the base of these mounds was a cultural, religious and population center in 1100-1500 AD. the park. Lake Jackson contains signs of Florida’s Territorial Period and early statehood (1825-1860) when the land was part of a large plantation owned by Colonel Robert Butler.
The remains of an 1800's grist mill can be seen in the creek bed along the interpretive trail.