Approximately 1,000 years ago, the land that is now Peacock Springs State Park was pushed up from the floor of the Gulf of Mexico to rest on a limestone platform. Its geologic growth hasn't stopped. Recent research has documented a 30 percent increase in the size of this platform since 1957. In 1875, Dr. John Calvin Peacock purchased the land on which the springs are located. He was a man of many talents and trades including raising cattle, practicing medicine and holding church services in his home. By the late 19th century, the springs also provided an important source of water and recreation to the town of Luraville. Originally purchased by the Nature Conservancy to protect the stand of Florida maple found in its hardwood forest, Peacock Springs State Park was later acquired by the state of Florida and was opened to the public in 1993.