Some content on this website is saved in an alternative format. To view these files, download the following free software or you can skip to the main content if you already have the appropriate readers.

  • Use Adobe Acrobat to read Portable Document Format (PDF) files: Download Adobe® Reader®
  • Microsoft Word file viewer and converter programs to enable those who do not have MS- Word or have another version of MS-Word to open and view MS-Word files: Download Word file Viewer
  • Microsoft offers Microsoft Excel file viewer and converter programs to enable those who do not have MS-Excel or have another version of MS-Excel to view MS-Excel files:Download Excel file viewer

Welcome to John U. Lloyd Beach State Park

Barefoot Mailman

In the late 1800s, the mail was carried on foot from West Palm Beach to Miami. The barefoot mail route was so named because the carriers walked barefoot on the hard sand at the water's edge. These men became collectively known as the Barefoot Mailmen. The beach at John U. Lloyd Beach State Park was part of the 68-mile journey.

Colored Beach

African Americans living in South Florida in the earlier part of the 20th century drove from as far away as Palm Beach and Miami to use Fort Lauderdale’s beaches, but met with significant resistance from oceanfront property owners. On May 14, 1946, a delegation from the Negro Professional and Business Men’s League Inc., petitioned the Board of County Commissioners “seeking a public bathing beach for colored people in Broward County." In 1954, the county finally acquired a barrier island site, designated it for segregation, and promised to make the beach accessible but a road was never built. In response, Eula Johnson, Dr. Von D Mizell and many others led a series for protest wade-ins on all white public beaches. In July 1962, the City of Fort Lauderdale requested an injunction to end the wade-ins. The court disagreed with the municipality’s position and entered an order in favor of defendants, thus launching a larger civil rights movement that soon brought integration to local schools.

John U. Lloyd

Due to the efforts of John U. Lloyd, Broward County's attorney for 30 years, the state approved the purchase of this property in 1954 and the park was named in his honor.

Park Dedication

The park land was purchased by the state from Broward County on August 23, 1973. The initial acquisition of 117 acres cost $15,314,000. Today, the park area encompasses 310 acres between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway, stretching from Port Everglades Inlet on the north to Dania on the south.