Surrounded by water on three sides, the peninsula has provided access to the resources of the Gulf and Lake Powell for centuries. Prehistoric middens and mounds found on the property indicate that humans lived in the area more than 4,000 years ago.
Known as Inlet Beach to the early settlers and developers, the area around Philips Inlet was initially developed as a recreation area in the 1920s. In 1928, Robert E. Hicks purchased the 185 acres of land overlooking Philips Inlet, where he built a summer home for his wife, Margaret May. She named the property Loch Lomond.
Resort development of the property began in the 1930s. Construction of the historic lodge and associated buildings was completed before the 1940s. Between 1945 and 1987, Avondale Textile Mills of Sylacauga, Alabama purchased Loch Lomond from the Hicks family, and named the property Camp Helen. For 39 years Avondale operated a resort destination for their vacationing employees. During that time, 12 duplex cottages and a recreation hall were built. These historic buildings still exist today.
This park is designated as an archeologic and historic site. Camp Helen's historic district is listed on the National Register of Historic places. Please do not remove any items from the park. Take only pictures; leave only footprints.