Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park
Welcome to Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park
The virgin tropical hardwood hammock that thrives on this island was once common on most of Florida's Upper Keys.
In 1919, William J. Matheson, a wealthy Miami chemist, bought this tiny island and built a caretaker's home with a windmill for electricity and a cistern for rainwater. Today, his hideaway is the visitor center for this island forest.
Ranger-guided tours are currently unavailable. However, there is a self-guided tour brochure that visitors can use to learn about the home and other features that dot the lawn.
Lignumvitae Key is accessible by boat or kayak only. Boat and kayak rentals are available through local vendors.
Ferry Service to the Island
- Florida Keys Boat Rentals at Robbie's Marina provides a ferry service to Lignumvitae Key on Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday, 1 to 4 p.m., 305-664-5533.
- A1A Watersports and Boat Rentals, 305-664-8182.
- Florida Keys Boat Rentals at Robbie's Marina, 305-664-5533.
Island Boat Tour Operators
- Easy Adventure Boat Tours, 305-451-8393.
- KeyZ Charters at Robbie’s Marina, 305-393-1394.
- Sea Monkeys Watersports, 305-664-4555.