View All Parks Director's Message

Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail

 Activities at Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail

Bicycling

Bicycling

Cyclists enjoy this paved, mostly level trail because it offers a scenic journey and one that can take you all the way to the Florida coast with the chance to dine on fresh seafood. Bike racks are available at the Main and Wakulla Station trailheads.

Hiking/Nature Trail

Hiking/Nature Trail

Hiking is permitted on the 20.5-mile paved trail, a portion of which follows the congressionally designated Florida National Scenic Trail. Additional hiking opportunities can be found in the adjacent Apalachicola National Forest and along City of Tallahassee trails that connect to the northern end of the Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail.

Horse/Equestrian Trail

Horse/Equestrian Trail

An unpaved equestrian trail generally parallels the paved trail with parking for horse trailers available both at the Main Trailhead and Wakulla Station Trailhead.

Interpretive Exhibit

Interpretive Exhibit

Historic markers along the Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail include a plaque at the Main Trailhead which introduces the history behind this longtime railway corridor and signage on the trail near Shell Island Road that outlines the 147-year history of the Tallahassee-St. Marks Railroad. A marker opposite the southern trail terminus tells the story of the town of Port Leon which was destroyed by a hurricane in 1843.

Mountain Biking

Mountain Biking

Off-road cyclists are welcome to travel the paved, multi-use trail, as well as take advantage of the Munson Hills/Twilight Mountain Bike Trails located in the Apalachicola National Forest and accessible from the Main Trailhead. Here there are 21 miles of off-road, loop trails managed by the U.S. Forest Service.

Parking

Parking

Parking is available at the Main Trailhead and at the Wakulla Station Trailhead. Equestrian/horse trailer parking can be accommodated at both trailheads.

Pets

Pets

Well behaved dogs are allowed on the trail with a maximum six-foot, hand-held leash. Owners are requested to walk their dogs near the edge of the trail for the safety of all trail users.

Picnic Pavilion

Picnic Pavilion

Picnic pavilions are located at the Wakulla Station Trailhead and are available to families or groups on a first-come, first-served basis.

Picnicking

Picnicking

There are also some picnic tables located in a wooded area beside the trail at the 11-mile marker.

Playground

Playground

The barrier-free, Felburn Foundation Boundless Playground® at the Wakulla Station Trailhead offers children of all abilities the opportunity to learn and play freely together.

Restroom Facilities

Restroom Facilities

Restroom facilities are located at the Main Trailhead and the Wakulla Station Trailhead and at the J. Lewis Hall Recreation Complex managed by Leon County. Four waterless restroom facilities are located along the trail at Oak Ridge Road, at the seven-mile marker, at Highway 98 and near the southern terminus of the trail.

Roller Blading

Roller Blading

Inline skaters find this paved, level trail is perfect for long or short excursions along a naturally beautiful, scenic path.

Walking

Walking

The paved, level surface of this multi-use trail makes it a popular venue for walkers of all fitness levels and runners frequently use it for training. 

Water Fountain/Potable Water

Water Fountain/Potable Water

Potable water is available at the Main Trailhead, the Wakulla Station Trailhead and Leon County's J. Lewis Hall Recreation Complex.

Wheelchair Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Motorized wheelchairs and other personal mobility devices are permitted as required.

Wildlife Viewing

Wildlife Viewing

Home to rare butterflies and many species of native Florida wildlife, the Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail is an especially attractive venue for birdwatchers. The southern terminus of the Trail is located only a few miles from the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, which was established in 1931 to provide wintering habitat for migratory birds.