John D. MacArthur Beach State Park
About John D. MacArthur Beach State Park
A NOTE FROM THE MANAGER
It would seem that if you’re a sea turtle, John D. MacArthur Beach State Park is the place to be. Nesting season is always a big deal here. Apparently, we’re not the only ones who appreciate our beautiful and undisturbed beach.
Sea Turtle Nest Count Update (September 24, 2014)
- Leatherback sea turtle nests - 64
- Loggerhead sea turtle nests - 1558
- Green sea turtle nests - 238
Pick your outdoor activity and this is a great time for it here. Swimming and snorkeling? Water temperatures are still comfortable and our easily accessible reef is just a short swim from shore. Fishing? Tarpon, bluefish, huge jack crevalle, and snook are chasing schools of bait (and angler’s lures) along the beach and in the estuary. Kayaking? Warmer temperatures make an enjoyable day of exploring the park by kayak even better. While you’re out kayaking, don’t forget to visit Munyon Island to do a little trail hiking.
As always, visiting the Nature Center is a great way to begin or end your day at John D. MacArthur Beach State Park. While you’re there, enjoy the amazing aquariums, interpretive displays, free movies in the theater, a gift shop, and of course friendly and knowledgeable staff and volunteers.
For a complete list of activities and events available at John D. MacArthur Beach State Park please visit http://www.floridastateparks.org/macarthurbeach/events.cfm or http://www.macarthurbeach.org/, or contact the park office at 561-624-6950.
Remember to check out the Spring-Summer 2014 issue of the Dune News, the newsletter of the Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park, Inc. Better yet, ask about becoming a member!
John D. MacArthur Beach State Park is located 2.8 miles south of the intersection of U.S.1 and PGA Blvd. on A1A in North Palm Beach.
- Volunteer -
Volunteers help visitors from around the world and school children appreciate the importance of preserving this beautiful place. Currently, we are looking for enthusiastic individuals to be school guides, individuals interested in exotic plant removal, guides to lead our daily nature walks, experienced kayakers to assist with our kayak tours and volunteers to work in our gift shop. Come be a part of our volunteer family and join us for a volunteer orientation. Reservations required. Please call the Nature Center at (561) 624-6952. Volunteer brochure.
- Beach Outfitters Gift Shop: Greet customers, assist with purchases and provide park information.
- Nature & Welcome Center: Greet visitors, help maintain exhibits, terrariums, and aquariums; you may be trained to assist in the feeding of the reptiles, fish, and invertebrates.
- Guided Nature Tours: Share your knowledge of South Florida's coastal habitat with local school students; take a group of park visitors on a walk through the park’s various plant communities; or participate in our guided kayak tours.
- Tram Driving: Enjoy a beautiful day outside, talking with and transporting park visitors across the pedestrian bridge that spans our gorgeous estuary.
- Beach and Estuary Cleanup: Help us keep the environment safe and beautiful for our visitors and wildlife by removing litter from the beach, dunes, and mangroves.
- Invasive/Exotic Plant Removal: Learn about native and exotic vegetation. Assist park staff in maintaining our very important resource in its natural state.
- Skilled and Unskilled Construction and Maintenance: From painting buildings to maintaining equipment to constructing sheds and other jobs that allow you to indulge your 'inner contractor' while maintaining the park infrastructure.
Junior Friends of MacArthur Beach: Note that many teenagers (age 14 and up) volunteer on a regular basis, for special events or as members of the Junior Friends. The Junior Friends is a committee of the Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park, Inc. Members are 6th grade through college/university students whose purpose is to support the park through activity and special event development. Community Service Points are awarded. For more information, please contact
Janice Kerber at 776-7221 ext. 104 or email@example.com.
- For forms, information and benefits of volunteering visit Get Involved.
- Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park, Inc.
10900 Jack Nicklaus Drive (A1A)
North Palm Beach, FL 33408
You can also follow us on Facebook.
- Florida State Parks Pet Policy
- Pets are not permitted on the beach or at the Visitor Center. Service animals are welcome in all areas of the park,as required by law.