Approximately 1,000 years ago, the land that is now Peacock Springs State Park was pushed up from the floor of the Gulf of Mexico to rest on a limestone platform. Its geologic growth hasn't stopped. Recent research has documented a 30 percent increase in the size of this platform since 1957. Peacock Springs became a state park in 1986.
In 1875, Dr. John Calvin Peacock purchased the land on which the springs are located. He was a man of many talents and trades including raising cattle, practicing medicine and holding church services in his home. By the late 19th century, the springs also provided an important source of water and recreation to the town of Luraville. Originally purchased by the Nature Conservancy to protect the stand of Florida maple found in its hardwood forest, Peacock Springs State Park was later acquired by the state of Florida and was opened to the public in 1993.
Peacock Springs is home to one of the longest underwater cave systems in the United States. Cave divers have explored and documented more than 28,000 feet of these caves. Sheck Exley, a local math teacher and world-famous cave diver, was instrumental in this work. He died in a deep dive in Mexico in 1994.
This area is great for swimming, picnics or just relaxing and enjoying the nearby sights and sounds. Even the occasional wedding takes place here.
Orange Grove Sink, one of the two popular swimming locations at Peacock Springs, is surrounded by rock walls. Although swimming and diving are only allowed in Peacock Spring and Orange Grove Sink, the park is also home to six other sink holes and a spring run.