Native Americans were the first humans to hunt and fish these barrier islands. In 1562, the French Huguenots arrived and named them the `Timucua". Over the next 200 years, the French, English and Spanish lived here. In 1735, General James Oglethorpe named the Talbot Islands in honor of Charles Baron Talbot, Lord High Chancellor of England. In 1845, Florida became the 27th state.
Big Talbot Island today is a great place to go fishing, kayaking, boating or strolling along the undisturbed trails and beaches. Thousands of years ago, however, the island was home to Florida's most ancient people. By the time Europeans arrived in the 16th and 17th centuries, the Timucua people populated the island. Unfortunately, by the late 18th century, most of the Timucua had perished. The Talbot Islands, named for Charles Baron Talbot, Lord High Chancellor of England, were converted into lucrative plantations by the Europeans who settled here.
The boat ramp at Big Talbot Island offers access to the Intracoastal Waterway, Nassau Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. Boaters can enjoy plying the waters or casting a line - the park is known for its good fishing.
The area of Big Talbot known as the Bluffs has been subject to many years of erosion. As a result, the amenities of the spot are constantly changing. Although this old bench is no longer here, folks can enjoy the Bluffs and the beautiful views from the picnic area.
Anglers in search of a good catch often take to the waters in their boats and canoes. Those who prefer to remain on land, however, might enjoy casting a line from the Bluffs, which have always been a good, yet quiet spot for fishing.