The Flint and Chattahoochee rivers combine to form Lake Seminole above the Jim Woodruff Dam. Below the dam, the waters become the mighty Apalachicola River, which flows untamed until it pours into Apalachicola Bay, and eventually, the Gulf of Mexico. The name of the park is a tribute to these three rivers. Construction of the Jim Woodruff Lock and Dam began in 1947. After Lake Seminole was filled to the desired depth, Congress passed a special bill allowing certain property of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to be designated as recreational areas and leased to the state of Florida. Three Rivers became a Florida state park in 1955.
Three Rivers State Park is named for the Chattahoochee, Flint and Apalachicola Rivers, all which join Lake Seminole. The lake and natural features in the park make it an ideal place to fish, camp and hike, as well as relax and enjoy the view.
Fishing on Lake Seminole has always been a great way to spend time at the park, whether it is done from land or boat. Largemouth and smallmouth bass, catfish, bluegill, speckled perch and bream are among the fish that might be landed by a lucky angler.
Early in the park's history, a need for camping facilities was recognized and incorporated into the park's master plan. Camping has remained a major attraction at this scenic park. This photograph, taken in the late 1960s or early 1970s, shows campers arriving at the park's entrance.
This historic photograph of a bathhouse at Three Rivers demonstrates how well buildings at the park are integrated into the natural surroundings. This building, constructed in 1965, is still in use and located in the Highlands Group Camp area of the park.