Historic Lake Talquin was formed when the Jackson Bluff Dam was constructed on the Ochlockonee River in 1927 to produce hydroelectric power. It was operated until 1970 by Florida Power when it was placed under the Florida Department of Natural Resources (now the Department of Environmental Protection). In 1981, the city of Tallahassee began to rebuild the dam and power plant. The plant became again operational, in 1985, as the C. H. Corn Hydroelectric Power Generating Plant.
This historic postcard reveals that 'Lake Talquin abounds in game fish - especially bass, shell cracker, black crappie and bluegill. Most local people head to Talquin when they really want to catch fish!'
Great outdoor recreation has been a part of this park for many years, as seen in this 1957 photo of a family spending the day at Lake Talquin.
View from across the water of Lake Talquin and the dam which generates green, pollution-free electrical power.