Humans have occupied the lands around Wakulla Springs for nearly 15,000 years. It is thought to be named for the Timucuan Indian word meaning 'mysterious waters'. Archaeological evidence shows intermittent habitation from Paleo-Indian times through European contact in 1513. Later periods are also represented, particularly the Spanish Mission, Creek and Seminole. Edward Ball purchased the property in 1934 and developed it as an attraction focusing on wildlife preservation and the surrounding habitat. The Wakulla Springs Lodge, completed in 1937, is an excellent example of Mediterranean Revival architecture. The park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated as a National Natural Landmark.
The Lodge as it looked as a resort in the 1940s or 1950s. Designed by the firm of Marsh and Saxelbye of Jacksonville, the Lodge is an excellent example of Mediterranean Revival architecture.
"There's no business, like show business" and Wakulla Springs has had its share of Hollywood experiences. The 1954 horror flick, "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," is just one of the movies filmed on location at the springs.
Ed Ball, a well-known Florida businessman and philanthropist, purchased Wakulla Springs in 1934 and soon after built the Wakulla Springs Lodge.
Years ago, fun-seekers at Wakulla Springs enjoyed a swan dive off the old three story wooden dive tower. A new tower was later built, containing only two stories and constructed of concrete.