The park was named in honor of the late John U. Lloyd, Broward County's attorney for 30 years, who led efforts to preserve the first parcel of land that eventually became John U. Lloyd Beach State Park in 1973.
In the late 1800s, the mail was carried on foot from West Palm Beach to Miami. The barefoot mail route was so named because the carriers walked barefoot on the hard sand at the water's edge. These men became collectively known as the Barefoot Mailmen. The beach at John U. Lloyd Beach State Park was part of the 68-mile journey.
The park land was purchased by the state from Broward County on August 23, 1973. The initial acquisition of 117 acres cost $15,314,000. Today, the park area encompasses 310 acres between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway, stretching from Port Everglades Inlet on the north to Dania on the south.
Due to the efforts of John U. Lloyd, the state approved the purchase of this property in 1954 and the park is here for many generations to enjoy.
The park offers a wide range of educational opportunities. Patrons, school groups and civic organizations are encouraged and invited to attend one of the many environmental education programs or workshops.